Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Look! Up in the Sky!

Just a brief note here. I saw the Superman documentary on A&E Monday night.

I rather enjoyed it. There wasn't anything world-shapingly changing for me about it, but it was a nice retrospective of where the Man of Steel has been, where he comes from, and where he's going.

What was funny for me was that I didn't realize how strongly Christopher Reeve resonated for me as Superman. I don't know that anyone else will ever take his place in my heart. The documentary really reminded me of that.

It also reminded me of how much I hated Doomsday. I'm not opposed to the idea of a storyline involving the death of Superman. (Ok, well, I am. But I'm willing to put that aside.) But it was dumb to have a mindless, fairly uninspired monster do it.

Braniac. Darkseid. Luthor. Zod. Maybe Mxypitlix, Metallo or Bizarro. These are the only people who should get the honor of destroying the Man of Steel. If you're going to do a Death of Superman story, then it should involve these characters.

Doomsday would've been marginally acceptable if he had been created by one of the first five names I listed. But as a random Kryptonian beastie who happened to come to Earth? Lame.

Anyhow, I digress. The documentary was good. Very watchable, lots of good interviews, including a nice one with Stan Lee. The DVD apparently has an additional thirty minutes of footage beyond what A&E showed, which makes me want to at least rent it.

Check it out. You won't be disapointed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

thank you for the heads up. will look for it up here...

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll like this then: http://www.starz.com/features/bunnyclub/superman/index.html

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home