Saturday, March 25, 2006

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a rerun!

I live in a television market where we don't have a WB affiliate. We have a UPN affiliate, and once UPN and the WB make their merger we'll have the CW. This means I'll finally get to watch Kids WB! (under whatever name they give it) again, not to mention watching Smallville at a reasonable hour. Right now, I only get to watch it if I stay up until eleven, and decide to take a pass on The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

Normally, I am willing to be under-slept as I drag myself into work on Friday. And I can always catch the replays on Comedy Central.

But for the last few weeks, I've been able to go to sleep and watch John Stewart and company in the comfort of my own bed.

Why?

Because there hasn't been a new Smallville on forever.

Now, I've been a big fan of Smallville since the beginning. Tom Welling looks and acts exactly the way that a young Clark Kent should look and act. Michael Rosenbaum is a brilliant young Lex Luthor (and he gets bonus points for also providing the voice of the Flash on Justice League. At least for one more season.) Despite being gorgeous, I couldn't care less about Kristen Kreuk's Lana, but that is more than made up for by the beautiful and talented Allison Mack as Chloe.

(Why have the comic writers not found a way to bring her into continuity yet? They brought Harley Quinn into continuity in a much shorter time.)

Don't get me wrong, Smallville has had it's problems. The whole "medieval witch from France who wanted to possess Lana so she could obtain the powers from the Kryptonian artifacts that have been in the cave for centuries even though Clark has only been here for twenty years" thing left me with a terrible taste in my mouth. Even writing that sentence hurt. But I stuck with it.

And I'm glad I did. This season has been really good. I adored watching James Marstairs as Braniac. I cried when Jonathan Snider's Pa Kent died. I hissed as Lionel Luthor hit on the widowed Martha Kent. And I am still eagerly awaiting seeing more of Zod.

And now, it's time for another edition of Predictions I make here that will be proven totally wrong in the future!

Terence Stamp has provided the voice of Jor-El on Smallville. Terence Stamp played Zod in Superman. Jor-El has been awfully creepy on Smallville in his interactions with Clark and Jonathan, but was shown to be a really good guy in the "Smallville of the 50's episode", where Tom Welling played Jor-El. I think that the voice of Jor-El that we have heard in the cave and the Fortress has actually been Zod pretending to be Jor-El, communicating with them through the Phantom Zone.

But as much as I adore this show, I can't watch it if they don't air new episodes!

Please, I implore you. No more re-runs. I had to go months without a new episode of Justice League. I can't handle any more repeats of Smallville.

5 Comments:

Blogger j2pro said...

Thankfully, I'm a new fan of Smallville, so every episode is a new episode for me. And yes, I've had to suffer along with you for months during the JLU hiatus.

At least Smallville isn't being canceled like JLU.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't seen much of Smallville, so I don't have much complaints.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Dave O'Hara said...

I too have been a Smallville fan since the beginning. I managed to push thru some REALLY BAD episodes (uh.."Kryp-Tuck" anyone??) and I have to say that the general theme has gotten a lot "looser" as the seasons progressed so I'm glad that they're getting back on point.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checked online. New episode this week!

-Os, the excited

12:57 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Yeah. And I'm going to be in a car, driving to Virginia Beach, when it's on.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home