Monday, July 16, 2007

A brief question about logic

War is hell. (In logic terms, All A is B.)
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. (In logic terms, all B is C.)
If I remember college logic correctly, these statements can be re-read. "All wars are equal to hell," and "No hells have a fury like a woman scorned."
This statement could be re-written thusly, "War hath no fury like a woman scorned." (All A is C.)

I'm going to add my own tweak on this statement.

"War hath no fury like the Hulk when he has been scorned."

Time to wake up, boys and girls. World War Hulk has come to the Marvel Universe.

Now, I make no secret about the fact that I adore the Hulk, but really, really hated the Planet Hulk storyline. It just seemed like a less-interesting rehash of the Hulk banished to the Crossroads of Eternity. Furthermore, I didn't think that Marvel needed another mega-crossover so shortly on the heels of Civil War.

I will now confess. I was wrong.

World War Hulk has been a wild ride already, and shows no signs of slowing down. From tearing Black Bolt and the Inhumans apart, to his assault on the X-Mansion (and just what will Charles Xavier's answer be, anyhow?), to his showdown with Iron Man in New York City, and the evacuation which was a part of it, WWH has knocked my socks off.

It has it's flaws, of course. The continuity between it and the other aspects of the 616 Universe (the Initiative, the X-Men's Endangered Species storyline, the Inhuman's Silent War, just to name a few) has been... let's be generous and say "less than consistent."

But it's been fun. Which is kind of astonishing, considering it's about the Hulk coming back to Earth at the head of an interstellar fleet to quite literally SMASH the planet. Maybe it's because Civil War was so depressing, turning hero against hero and turning the Marvel Universe on its head. Having the Hulk as a central figure for the Marvel-verse to focus on makes for something much cleaner. Even with the fact that, as always, painting the Hulk as a villain isn't entirely fair. All he wanted, ever, was to be left alone. That never happened while he was on Earth. Then they banished him to space, which generally sucked. But he made a life to be happy about there. And then there was the bomb.

Now, I don't know if the bomb was actually planned by any, or all, of the Illuminati. It seems out of character for most of them. And the truth will out over the next several months.

But the bomb killed the Hulk's wife and child. And finally, he had enough. Mankind clearly wasn't capable of leaving him alone.

So he would make them.

I feel bad for the Hulk, as I always have. I feel bad for those caught in his path, again, as I always have. I want to see him stopped, obviously. But a part of me doesn't.

This is why I read comics people.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home